Iran Tightens Control Over Strait of Hormuz as Ships Report Gunfire

Bilal Javed
By
Bilal Javed
Bilal Javed is a contributor at Minute Mirror, writing on breaking developments in global business and geopolitics. He can be reached at bilaljaved708@gmail.com
4 Min Read

Summary

  • Shipping sources reported that at least two vessels came under gunfire while attempting to transit the strait, raising fresh concerns about global energy flows.
  • The blockade has already stranded hundreds of vessels and about 20,000 seafarers in the Gulf, awaiting safe passage through the strait, which handles roughly 20 percent of global oil and liquefied natural gas flows.
  • For Iran, the closure of the Strait of Hormuz underscores its leverage over global energy supplies.
AI Generated Summary

Iran announced on Saturday that it had reimposed strict control over the Strait of Hormuz, warning mariners that the vital waterway was closed again. Shipping sources reported that at least two vessels came under gunfire while attempting to transit the strait, raising fresh concerns about global energy flows.

Tehran said it acted in response to what it described as continued U.S. violations of a ceasefire agreement and a blockade of Iranian ports. Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei declared that Iran’s navy stood ready to deliver “new bitter defeats” to its adversaries. The renewed closure injected uncertainty into the fragile truce and heightened fears of prolonged disruption to oil and gas shipments.

Merchant vessels received radio messages from Iran’s navy stating that no ships of any nationality would be allowed through the strait. The announcement reversed earlier indications that traffic might resume under restricted lanes. Maritime trackers had shown eight tankers crossing the passage earlier in the day, marking the first significant movement since the U.S.-Israeli war on Iran began seven weeks ago.

Reports confirmed that at least two ships were hit by gunfire during attempted crossings. One tanker captain told the United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations agency that Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps gunboats fired on his vessel northeast of Oman, though the crew remained unharmed. A container ship also sustained damage, according to maritime security sources.

The U.S. military acknowledged that its forces continued to enforce a maritime blockade of Iran but did not comment directly on Tehran’s latest actions. The blockade has already stranded hundreds of vessels and about 20,000 seafarers in the Gulf, awaiting safe passage through the strait, which handles roughly 20 percent of global oil and liquefied natural gas flows.

The developments came just days before the ceasefire between Washington and Tehran is set to expire on Wednesday. President Donald Trump told reporters that negotiations with Iran were ongoing and expressed optimism, but he also warned that fighting could resume if no long-term deal is reached. He stressed that preventing Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons remained the top priority.

Iran’s deputy foreign minister, Saeed Khatibzadeh, said no date had been set for the next round of talks, adding that the U.S. had violated the ceasefire terms. He warned that repercussions would follow. Diplomats had hoped for direct negotiations in Islamabad over the weekend, but sources suggested logistical challenges made such talks unlikely. Pakistani officials, including army chief Field Marshal Asim Munir and Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, have been mediating between the two sides after meetings in Tehran, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and Turkey.

Differences over Iran’s nuclear program remain a major obstacle. Washington has proposed a 20-year suspension of enrichment, while Tehran has offered a halt of three to five years. Some sources indicated that compromise might be possible, with partial removal of enriched uranium stockpiles under discussion.

Global markets reacted sharply to the uncertainty. Oil prices fell by about 10 percent on Friday, and stocks rallied on hopes that marine traffic might resume. However, the renewed closure of the strait dashed those expectations, leaving energy markets unsettled and shipping companies facing mounting risks.

As the ceasefire deadline approaches, pressure grows on both sides to find a path toward peace. For Iran, the closure of the Strait of Hormuz underscores its leverage over global energy supplies. For the U.S., the blockade remains a tool to isolate Tehran. The coming days will determine whether negotiations can ease tensions or whether the strait will remain a flashpoint in the conflict.

We welcome your contributions! Submit your blogs, opinion pieces, press releases, news story pitches, and news features to opinion@minutemirror.com.pk and minutemirrormail@gmail.com
Share This Article
Bilal Javed is a contributor at Minute Mirror, writing on breaking developments in global business and geopolitics. He can be reached at bilaljaved708@gmail.com