New Jersey’s $150 transit fare at World Cup will have ‘chilling effect’, FIFA warns

Nauman Yasin
By
Nauman Yasin
Nauman Yasin reports on social, political, and cultural developments, offering a clear view of the issues shaping society. His work emphasises factual, balanced coverage that resonates...
2 Min Read

Summary

  • New Jersey’s decision to charge $150 for round-trip transit to World Cup games will have a “chilling effect” on fans, FIFA warns, as the fare marks a tenfold increase from the usual $15 for the same route.
  • Heimo Schirgi, chief operating officer for the 2026 World Cup, says the fare increase forces fans to consider alternative transport options.
  • Schirgi says FIFA remains a not-for-profit organisation under its statutes and that revenue from the World Cup is reinvested into developing football, particularly youth and women’s programmes globally.
AI Generated Summary

New Jersey’s decision to charge $150 for round-trip transit to World Cup games will have a “chilling effect” on fans, FIFA warns, as the fare marks a tenfold increase from the usual $15 for the same route.

The sharp price rise adds to the cost of World Cup tickets, which can reach thousands of dollars, particularly on the resale market. The MetLife Stadium is set to host eight matches, including the final on July 19.

New Jersey Transit chief executive officer Kris Kolluri defends the pricing, saying it reflects higher passenger demand due to restricted parking near the stadium and increased costs linked to World Cup security requirements.

Heimo Schirgi, chief operating officer for the 2026 World Cup, says the fare increase forces fans to consider alternative transport options.

“The NJ Transit current pricing model will have a chilling effect. Elevated fares inevitably push fans toward alternative transportation options,” Schirgi says in a statement.

He adds that this shift increases concerns over congestion, delays and wider disruptions that could reduce the economic benefit and long-term legacy expected from hosting the tournament. He also says that demanding FIFA absorb these costs is unprecedented for a global sporting event.

Governor says ‘FIFA should pay’

Mikie Sherrill, Governor of New Jersey, previously says NJ Transit is “stuck with a $48-million bill” to ensure fan safety while FIFA generates $11 billion.

“I’m not going to stick New Jersey commuters with that tab for years to come. FIFA should pay for the rides,” Sherrill says.

FIFA rejects the claim, clarifying that the $11 billion figure refers to revenue, not profit.

Schirgi says FIFA remains a not-for-profit organisation under its statutes and that revenue from the World Cup is reinvested into developing football, particularly youth and women’s programmes globally.

He also praises host city partners across the United States for providing low-cost or unchanged public transport fares to support fan access during the tournament.

We welcome your contributions! Submit your blogs, opinion pieces, press releases, news story pitches, and news features to opinion@minutemirror.com.pk and minutemirrormail@gmail.com
Share This Article
Nauman Yasin reports on social, political, and cultural developments, offering a clear view of the issues shaping society. His work emphasises factual, balanced coverage that resonates with diverse audiences. Through his stories, he seeks to highlight perspectives that often go unheard.