UK probes Iran links after arson attacks on Jewish sites in London

Hadia Batool
By
Hadia Batool
Hadia Batool is Web Editor of Minute Mirror. She can be reached at bhadia624@gmail.com.
2 Min Read

Summary

  • British counter-terrorism police are investigating whether Iran-linked groups may be connected to a series of arson attacks targeting Jewish sites across London, officials said on Saturday.
  • Security around Jewish institutions and sensitive locations in London has been increased following the incidents, with police conducting heightened patrols in affected areas.
  • Officials also noted previous intelligence warnings about Iran allegedly using proxy groups for overseas operations, including surveillance and attacks targeting Israeli and Jewish-linked sites in Europe.
AI Generated Summary

British counter-terrorism police are investigating whether Iran-linked groups may be connected to a series of arson attacks targeting Jewish sites across London, officials said on Saturday.

The probe follows three separate incidents in one week, including the latest attack at Kenton United Synagogue in the Harrow area shortly after midnight. Police confirmed that an accelerant was thrown into the building after a window was damaged, though no major destruction was reported.

Earlier incidents include an attempted arson at another synagogue and an attack on a Jewish-linked business premises. In a separate case last month, ambulances belonging to a Jewish emergency service were also set on fire in north-west London.

Authorities said they are keeping an open mind but are actively examining reports suggesting involvement of a pro-Iranian group that has previously claimed responsibility for similar attacks in Europe. The group has also released online material allegedly showing the latest incident.

Senior counter-terrorism officials stated that while investigations are ongoing, they are aware of claims linking the group to Iran and will continue to assess any possible foreign involvement.

Chief Rabbi Ephraim Mirvis described the incidents as part of a “sustained campaign of intimidation” against the Jewish community in the UK, warning that the situation is becoming increasingly dangerous.

British Prime Minister Keir Starmer strongly condemned the attacks, calling them “abhorrent” and saying that violence against Jewish communities would not be tolerated. He stressed that such acts are an attack on the country as a whole.

Security around Jewish institutions and sensitive locations in London has been increased following the incidents, with police conducting heightened patrols in affected areas.

Officials also noted previous intelligence warnings about Iran allegedly using proxy groups for overseas operations, including surveillance and attacks targeting Israeli and Jewish-linked sites in Europe.

We welcome your contributions! Submit your blogs, opinion pieces, press releases, news story pitches, and news features to opinion@minutemirror.com.pk and minutemirrormail@gmail.com
Share This Article
Hadia Batool is Web Editor of Minute Mirror. She can be reached at bhadia624@gmail.com.