Summary
- LONDON: Britain will send its Rapid Sentry air defence system to Kuwait following an overnight Iranian drone strike on a Kuwaiti oil facility, Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s office confirmed Friday.
- “The Prime Minister began by condemning the reckless overnight drone attack on a Kuwaiti oil refinery,” a spokesperson said.
- “He reiterated that the UK stands with Kuwait and all our allies in the Gulf.” The Rapid Sentry system is designed to intercept drones and other low-flying aerial threats.
LONDON: Britain will send its Rapid Sentry air defence system to Kuwait following an overnight Iranian drone strike on a Kuwaiti oil facility, Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s office confirmed Friday.
Downing Street said Starmer discussed the deployment in a call with Kuwait’s Crown Prince Sabah al-Khalid al-Sabah earlier in the day. “The Prime Minister began by condemning the reckless overnight drone attack on a Kuwaiti oil refinery,” a spokesperson said. “He reiterated that the UK stands with Kuwait and all our allies in the Gulf.”
The Rapid Sentry system is designed to intercept drones and other low-flying aerial threats. Officials stressed that the deployment aims to protect British and Kuwaiti personnel and assets while avoiding escalation into a wider conflict.
Starmer and the crown prince also addressed the disruption to global shipping caused by Iran’s closure of the Strait of Hormuz. They welcomed a meeting chaired by Foreign Minister Yvette Cooper on Thursday, which focused on drafting a plan to reopen the vital waterway.
The move underscores Britain’s growing role in Gulf security at a time when regional tensions are spilling over into global energy markets.
We welcome your contributions! Submit your blogs, opinion pieces, press releases, news story pitches, and news features to opinion@minutemirror.com.pk and minutemirrormail@gmail.com

