“We will reach everyone”: how Israeli intelligence hunted Nasrallah

Saadia Aiman
3 Min Read

Summary

  • Jerusalem: The airstrike that eliminated Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah marks a milestone success in Israel’s intelligence operations, reflecting deep infiltration of the Iran-backed group.
  • Miri Eisen said she thought the success stemmed from years of gathering intelligence and that the real-time information would lead the attack on September 29.
  • As Israeli military leaders celebrate the operation’s success along the northern border, statements indicate that they are keen on continuing operations against Hezbollah, stating their intentions to continue toward a completion of all their previously set targets.
AI Generated Summary

Jerusalem: The airstrike that eliminated Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah marks a milestone success in Israel’s intelligence operations, reflecting deep infiltration of the Iran-backed group. Extensive planning and execution mark this operation against the brains of the Lebanon-based Iran-influenced forces, analysts say.

After the barbarous October 7 attack by Hamas, Hezbollah launched attacks on northern Israel which were immediately retaliated on by Israel. Israel intensified its campaign against Hezbollah on September 17 where it conducted sabotage attacks on the communication devices belonging to the group, which crippled their operation capabilities.

Israel’s Unit 8200, which specializes in signals intelligence, played a vital role in this. Retired Col. Miri Eisen said she thought the success stemmed from years of gathering intelligence and that the real-time information would lead the attack on September 29.

Israeli military spokesmen said that Nasrallah and other senior leaders of the party were present at this time, within the core of Hezbollah HQs in the southern suburb of Beirut. It was a penetrative attack on the headquarters, using timed explosives for maximum impact and effectiveness.

True this is to a certain extent, but the timing was opportune because Israeli intelligence received that related information only hours before the attack occurred. To make matters more complex in the political arena, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was actually out of the country at the time for the UN General Assembly.

The bunker reportedly received over 80 tons of bombs courtesy of the Israeli warplanes, which caused significant destruction and loss of lives. An airstrike into Lebanon confirmed six deaths and 91 injuries from preliminary reports.
Experts consider the operation a strategic intelligence coup that points out Israel’s technological muscle and its deep infiltration of Hezbollah’s ranks. Questions, however abound in regards to the long-term implications for Hezbollah’s operational capabilities and their ability to respond strategically.

As Israeli military leaders celebrate the operation’s success along the northern border, statements indicate that they are keen on continuing operations against Hezbollah, stating their intentions to continue toward a completion of all their previously set targets.

We welcome your contributions! Submit your blogs, opinion pieces, press releases, news story pitches, and news features to opinion@minutemirror.com.pk and minutemirrormail@gmail.com
Share This Article